More common for hoverboard fires?

burnedhoverboard

For the second time in less than a week, a North Bay house fire is being blamed on a hoverboard after one of the devices exploded in a Petaluma home Monday evening.

Around 7 p.m., firefighters responded to the blaze on Bixby Court on the west side of the city, said Battalion Chief Mike Medeiros, a spokesman for the Fire Department.

The first crew on the scene found the house filled with smoke and one of the smoke detectors going off, Medeiros said in a statement.

The homeowner, who met firefighters in the driveway, told investigators his daughter’s hoverboard had been plugged in and charging in a bedroom when he heard an explosion. He ran downstairs to find the device “actively burning and continuing to explode, sending embers and portions of the hoverboard throughout the bedroom and hallway of the residence,” Medeiros said.

The homeowner put out the blaze with a fire extinguisher and quickly unplugged the device, which was called a Mini Smart Self Balancing 2 Wheel Electric Scooter with LED Light and was purchased online, Medeiros said. The fire was thought to have caused about $10,000 worth of damage.

The Consumer Products Safety Commission is looking into the fires that had happened, there were over 40 accidents across the country.

Williams, Kale. “Hoverboard Blamed for 2nd North Bay Fire in Less than a Week.” Web log post. SFGate. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Jan. 2016.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s